The mini facelift, also known as a mini lift or weekend facelift, is a less invasive alternative to the traditional facelift.
Ageing is a natural process that affects all of us. As we grow older, our skin loses its elasticity, and wrinkles and sagging become more noticeable. If you are looking to achieve a more refreshed and rejuvenated look without undergoing a full facelift, a mini facelift could be the perfect solution for you.
Prices from £6700.
2 to 4 hours
4 to 6 weeks
It can take 3 months for visible improvements to appear and you can enjoy a more youthful, rested appearance.
Benefits of a Mini Facelift
It primarily targets the lower third of the face, including the jawline and jowls. Unlike a deep plane facelift, which although it has similar incisions and potential downtime, a mini facelift offers a more subtle rejuvenation and can be performed under local anaesthetic.
There are several benefits to opting for a mini facelift over a traditional facelift. The procedure is less invasive and so can be done without the need for sedation or a general anaesthetic. This means less downtime and a quicker recovery compared to a full facelift. Many patients can return to their normal activities within a week or two after a mini facelift.
A mini facelift provides natural-looking results. The goal of this procedure is to enhance your natural beauty and restore a more youthful appearance without drastically altering your features. Anthony will tighten the skin and underlying tissues, reducing sagging and creating a more defined jawline. The results of a mini facelift are subtle, but can give you a refreshed and rejuvenated look.
A mini facelift is a cost-effective option for those who want to address specific areas of concern without undergoing a full facelift. The procedure is less expensive than a traditional facelift, making it more accessible to a wider range of individuals. If you have mild to moderate signs of ageing in the lower face, a mini facelift could be an excellent solution for you.
Who Is A Good Candidate For A Mini Facelift?
While a mini facelift offers numerous benefits, it is essential to determine if you are a suitable candidate for the procedure. Good candidates for a mini facelift are individuals who have mild to moderate signs of ageing in the lower face and are generally thin or do not have a heavy face. This may include sagging jowls and loose skin in the jawline.
It is important to have realistic expectations about the results of a mini facelift. While the procedure can provide significant improvement, it cannot stop the ageing process. Good candidates understand that the results will be subtle and that they will continue to age naturally after the procedure.
Additionally, candidates should be in good overall health and have no underlying medical conditions that may interfere with the healing process. It is crucial to disclose your complete medical history and any medications you are taking to Anthony during the consultation.
What to Expect During a Mini Facelift Consultation
During the consultation, Anthony will evaluate your individual needs, discuss your goals and expectations, and determine if a mini facelift is the right choice for you.
The consultation is an opportunity for you to ask any questions or express any concerns you may have. Anthony will explain the procedure in detail, including the risks, benefits, and expected recovery time. He will also show you before and after photos of previous patients who have undergone a mini facelift to give you a better idea of what to expect.
As part of the consultation your overall health is assessed and your facial structure examined to determine if you are suitable for a mini facelift. The key point here is that your expectations match what is possible with the technique – a mini facelift is a very different beast to a deep plane facelift and the 2 procedures will not produce the same results, despite what you may read!
He will take into account factors such as skin quality, facial volume, and the extent of sagging to create a personalised treatment plan.
Before & Afters
Anthony uses the latest 3D scanning technology to create before and after visuals that give you a realistic view of the results.
The Mini Facelift Procedure Explained
Once you have decided to proceed with a mini facelift, it is essential to understand the procedure itself. A mini facelift is performed under local anaesthesia (with sedation or under general anaesthetic if you so desire). The incisions used are similar to those used in more extensive facelift procedures although the length of the incision behind the ear is usually shorter (as the extent of skin elevation is much less than in regular facelift techniques – hence the term mini facelift).
Through these incisions, Anthony will lift and tighten the underlying tissue (known as the SMAS layer), removing excess the cheek skin from in form of the ear. The skin will be repositioned, and the incisions will be closed with sutures or surgical staples. The entire procedure usually takes around two hours, depending on the extent of the correction needed.
After the surgery, you will be monitored in a recovery area to ensure your safety and comfort. Once you have sufficiently recovered from the anaesthesia, you will be allowed to return home with specific post-operative instructions provided.
Results and Longevity of a Mini Facelift
The results of a mini facelift are long-lasting but not permanent. While the ageing process will continue, the effects of the procedure generally last between 3 to 5 years (but this does vary between individuals). The exact duration of the results will vary depending on various factors, including your lifestyle, genetics, and the quality of your skin.
To maintain the results of your mini facelift, it is essential to follow a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise, a balanced diet, and proper skincare. Protecting your skin from sun damage and avoiding smoking can also help prolong the effects of the procedure.
It is worth noting that individual results may vary, and some patients may choose to undergo additional cosmetic treatments to enhance or maintain their results.
Mini Facelift Vs. Traditional Facelift: Which Is Right For You?
Choosing between a mini facelift and a traditional facelift depends on your unique needs, goals, and preferences. While both procedures aim to rejuvenate the face, they differ in terms of invasiveness, extent of correction, and recovery time.
A mini facelift is ideal for individuals with mild to moderate signs of ageing in the lower face and do not want to go through a more extensive procedure or do not wish to have the associated downtime. It offers a more subtle improvement with typically shorter incisions and a quicker recovery time. On the other hand, a deep plane facelift produces more comprehensive rejuvenation of the face and aims to address the neck which mini facelifts (also known as MACS lifts [this stands for minimal access cranial suspension – the stitches used to tighten the SMAS layer are anchored to the cheek bone just in front of the ear]) will not do.
During your consultation, Anthony will assess your specific concerns and recommend the most appropriate procedure for you. He will explain the pros and cons of each option, allowing you to make an informed decision based on your desired outcomes and tolerance for downtime.
Choosing the Right Surgeon for Your Mini Facelift
One of the most critical factors in achieving a successful mini facelift is selecting the right plastic surgeon. It is essential to choose a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in performing facelift procedures and a track record of delivering natural-looking results.
Start by researching and reviewing the qualifications and credentials of potential surgeons. Look for before and after photos of their previous patients to assess their skill and aesthetic approach. Reading patient reviews and testimonials can also provide valuable insights into the surgeon’s professionalism and patient satisfaction.
During your consultation, ask questions about the surgeon’s experience, training, and the number of facelift procedures they have performed. Inquire about the facility where the surgery will take place and ensure that it is properly accredited and equipped with the necessary resources.
More than this, trust your instincts and choose a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and confident. Open communication and a trusting relationship with your surgeon are essential for a successful outcome.
A mini facelift is an excellent option for individuals who want to achieve a more refreshed and rejuvenated look without undergoing a more extensive facelift procedure such as a deep plane facelift.
This less invasive procedure offers numerous benefits, including shorter scars, faster recovery, and natural-looking results. However, it is essential to choose a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon who can guide you through the process and ensure optimal results.
If you are considering a mini facelift, schedule a consultation with Anthony to discuss your goals and expectations. He will evaluate your individual needs, determine if you are a suitable candidate, and create a personalised treatment plan to help you achieve the desired results.
Recovery and Aftercare
Recovery from a mini facelift is typically faster and more comfortable compared to a traditional facelift. However, it is crucial to follow Anthony’s post-operative instructions to ensure optimal healing and results. Here are some general guidelines for a smooth recovery:
- Rest and take time off: Plan to take at least a week off work or refrain from any strenuous activities or exercise for 2 weeks to allow your body to heal. Avoid bending over or engaging in any activities that may put pressure on the incisions
- Control swelling and bruising: Applying cold compresses to the treated area can help reduce swelling and bruising. Anthony may also recommend specific creams or ointments to aid in the healing process
- Avoid strenuous exercise: Refrain from engaging in any vigorous exercise or activities that may increase your heart rate for at least two weeks. This will help prevent complications and promote proper healing
- Follow a healthy diet: Eating a nutritious diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins can aid in the healing process. Stay hydrated and avoid alcohol and tobacco, as they can hinder the recovery process
- Attend follow-up appointments: It is crucial to attend all scheduled follow-up appointments. Anthony will monitor your progress, remove any sutures or staples, and ensure that you are healing properly
Risks and Complications Associated With a Mini Facelift
Like any surgical procedure, a mini facelift carries some risks and potential complications. However, these risks are relatively low when performed by a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon. It is crucial to be aware of the possible risks before undergoing the procedure. Some potential risks and complications include:
- Bleeding: Some bleeding is normal after surgery, but excessive bleeding may require medical attention
- Infection: Although rare, an infection can occur after any surgical procedure. If you notice increasing pain, redness, or discharge from the incision sites, contact your surgeon immediately
- Nerve damage: Temporary or permanent nerve damage is a rare but possible complication of a mini facelift. This could result in numbness, tingling, or facial weakness. Most cases of nerve damage resolve on their own over time
- Scarring: While efforts are made to minimise scarring, some visible scars may remain. However, these scars are usually well-hidden and fade over time
Anthony will discuss these risks and complications with you during your consultation and provide you with detailed information on how to minimise the chances of experiencing them. It is crucial to follow all pre-operative and post-operative instructions to reduce the risk of complications and ensure a smooth recovery.
A study published in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery journal found many patients who follow their surgeon’s instructions to stop smoking in advance of their surgery and during the healing period are smoke-free five years after their procedure.
For more advice, call 0117 325 5034 to arrange a consultation.
FAQs about Mini Facelift
Can a mini facelift be combined with other procedures?
- Yes, patients often combine a mini facelift with other procedures for more comprehensive facial rejuvenation. Common additional treatments include eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), brow lift, chemical peels, laser skin resurfacing, or fat grafting to address other areas of concern. Anthony can advise on combining procedures based on your aesthetic goals.
How effective is a mini facelift?
- A mini facelift can be highly effective for individuals showing early signs of ageing, offering a fresher, younger appearance. The procedure is particularly successful in addressing sagging skin, refining the jawline, reducing minor jowls, and tightening the lower face. Its effectiveness is most pronounced in patients who have mild to moderate skin laxity and a thin face. However, the results heavily depend on the individual’s skin quality, the skill of the surgeon, and the overall health and lifestyle of the patient. It’s important to have realistic expectations, as a mini facelift delivers subtler results compared to more extensive procedures.
What is the downside of a mini facelift?
- While a mini facelift offers several benefits, there are downsides to consider. Firstly, the results are less dramatic and comprehensive than a full facelift, meaning it may not be suitable for individuals with severe skin sagging or deep wrinkles. It primarily targets the lower face and does not address the neck. Like all facelifts it does not treat ageing signs in the forehead, brow, or eye areas (these are treated by a brow lift and blepharoplasty respectively). There are also the usual surgical risks such as infection, bleeding, scarring, or reactions to anaesthesia. Recovery, though shorter than traditional methods, still requires a downtime that necessitates time off work and social engagements. Additionally, results may vary based on the individual’s skin elasticity and healing ability.
How many years does a mini facelift last?
- The durability of a mini facelift’s results can vary from one individual to another, influenced by factors like genetics, lifestyle, and skin care routines. On average, patients can expect the positive outcomes of a mini facelift to last several years, often around 3 to 5 years. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, protecting the skin from excessive sun exposure, and adhering to a quality skincare regimen can help extend the vitality of the results. Eventually, some patients may choose to undergo additional procedures as they age.
Are mini facelifts noticeable?
- Mini facelifts aim to provide a rejuvenated appearance without the obvious signs of surgery. The procedure is designed to offer subtle, natural-looking enhancements rather than dramatic alterations. Incisions are smaller and strategically placed to be less visible, typically around the hairline or ear, minimising noticeable scarring. While the patient will appear refreshed and younger in the lower face region, a well-done mini facelift doesn’t drastically alter one’s fundamental appearance. Instead, it restores a more youthful version of the patient.